SuperValu Scoops Gold for Christmas Pudding
Just in time for Christmas, SuperValu’s Supreme Christmas Pudding received top marks and won a Gold Q award at the first ever Irish Quality Food Awards. This product was just one of six awards given to the SuperValu Irish Own Brand product range.
Launched to recognise the increasing demand for quality own label branded ranges, the Irish Quality Food Awards reward excellence in product development for food and drink producers, retailers and catering companies in Ireland.
Presented by leading Irish chef, Neven Maguire, and held at Dublin’s Mansion House, the awards were open to all retailers, food producers, wholesalers and food service operators. The competition saw a total of 131 food and drink products shortlisted across 34 categories, all vying for an award. The SuperValu winners and Irish suppliers were:
- Gold Q Christmas Award and Christmas Ambient Grocery Award – SuperValu Supreme Christmas Pudding supplied by Seerys
- Cakes and Morning Goods Q Award – SuperValu Supreme Belgian Chocolate Birthday Cake supplied by Fusco
- Fresh Produce Q Award – SuperValu Irish Flavorita Tomato supplied by Total Produce
- Sauces and Salad Dressings Q Award – SuperValu Squeezy Light Mayo supplied by Blenders
- Desserts and Puddings Q Award – SuperValu Supreme Sherry Trifle supplied by Prestige
- Pies and Pasties Highly Commended Award – SuperValu Peppered Steak Pie supplied by McColgans
- Pizzas Highly Commended Award – SuperValu Goats Cheese and Mediterranean Vegetable Pizza supplied by Greenisle
Commenting on the Awards, Martin Kelleher, Managing Director SuperValu, said: “With 25 shortlisted products, six winners, two highly commended awards, including an overall gold award, I am delighted to see so many SuperValu Own Brand products and their Irish suppliers recognised for their quality and value. It is a tremendous achievement to receive the gold award for our Supreme Christmas Pudding, which is supplied by Seery’s family run business in Carlow. This is a business that has been making puddings for 20 years with recipes developed over generations and this award is a testament to our select sourcing from the best of Irish suppliers. Recognising the best that the Irish food industry has to offer, the awards showcase the consistent commitment to quality and innovation that is synonymous with SuperValu and the Irish food sector.”
“These awards are a further endorsement of the SuperValu Own Brand range with over 2000 Own Brand products. With 75% of everything on our shelves supplied, produced or sourced from Irish suppliers, we are the number one supporter of the Irish food industry, sourcing more Irish goods than any other retailer in Ireland,” Kelleher added.
SuperValu serves over 2,000,000 customers every week, has 198 stores nationwide and is committed to local employment and supporting local suppliers. SuperValu contributes over €1.6 billion to the Irish economy helping to sustain almost 30,000 Irish jobs in the farm, food and retail sector.