SuperValu outperforms other supermarkets at Christmas according to TNS Worldpanel Research

SuperValu attributes success to value for money offer, Irish sourcing and fresh food offering

The latest TNS Worldpanel grocery market shares published today for the 4 weeks ending 27 December 2009 show that SuperValu is the best performing supermarket in the Republic. SuperValu’s performance is being driven by market share gain as it was the only supermarket to have attracted new shoppers over Christmas compared to the same period last year. This is the second month in a row that SuperValu has outperformed its rivals. The overall grocery market is down 7.5 per cent versus the same period in 2008, whereas Supervalu’s current decline is at 4.9 per cent, which is better than its supermarket rivals.

SuperValu attributes its success to its policy of sourcing Irish, its fresh food offer and its value for money focus, which delivers a strong combination of permanent price cuts on every day items, combined with strong promotional offers. For example, the company sold 96,000 Irish turkeys, all at half price, as part of a very strong Real Rewards loyalty card offer, with retail sales amounting to in excess of €4 million. As part of SuperValu’s sourcing policy, all turkeys were provided by two Monaghan based producers Grove Turkeys Ltd and IGWT Poultry Services Ltd.

SuperValu’s weekly in-store promotional and special offers programme has proved to be a consistently strong performer for the brand.  The National Consumer Agency’s recent survey on consumers’ purchasing habits in the current economic environment showed that 53 per cent of consumers are now taking advantage of promotions or using coupons as they cut back on treats. This is a 14 per cent increase on the previous survey.

Earlier this year, SuperValu launched its ‘All We’ve Cut is Our Prices’ value campaign, which consisted of an investment of €230 million in long-term price reductions for its shoppers on everyday products and brands. This is being delivered without sacrificing SuperValu’s commitment to Irish suppliers and Irish jobs.

Commenting on its performance, Donal Horgan, Managing Director SuperValu, said, “SuperValu is a business that listens to what the Irish consumer wants and given the choice, we know people want to buy Irish. We have an exceptionally strong promotional and value offering across our retail partners’ stores and this has been widely supported by shoppers, with our share of the grocery sector performing ahead of the market. Our share has been increasing, while continuing our support of Irish food, which we believe is amongst the best quality found anywhere in the world. We are proud to work with Irish suppliers to deliver Irish products to consumers at the best possible price. As part of Musgrave, SuperValu has buying power in excess of €4.9 billion and is at the forefront of delivering value to Irish consumers.

Currently 75 per cent of everything on SuperValu’s shelves is sourced or produced in Ireland and this is set to continue. These purchases are worth in excess of €2.85 billion every year to the Irish economy and indirectly support 14,000 Irish jobs.  

SuperValu has a policy of sourcing and selling only 100 per cent Irish meat and poultry which ensures superior quality and farm to fork traceability. SuperValu’s long standing commitment to secure supply from local Irish producers has ensured consumer confidence in the SuperValu meat offering, which is served up by expert butchers, across the network of 194 stores, giving SuperValu the biggest butchery network in the country.

SuperValu’s longstanding loyalty to local Irish producers and communities means that, currently, 65 per cent of the fruit and vegetables purchased by SuperValu and its retail partners are Irish. The remaining 35 per cent is made up of fruit and vegetables either not available or out-of-season in Ireland. This commitment to secure supply locally has ensured consumer trust in the SuperValu fresh fruit and vegetable offering.

What would you like to find?

Most popular stories

Noel Keeley appointed as new Musgrave CEO

Musgrave Group plc announced today that Noel Keeley, current Managing…

Drive-Thru First for Convenience Retail Brand

£1 million investment in reimagined Centra Store and Drive Thru…