Scally’s Centra, Tullamore, Co. Offaly has been named as Ireland’s National Convenience Store of the Year 2010 by industry magazine, ShelfLife. The store is owned by Ben Scally, managed by Fiona Leavy and employs 50 people. Centra Tullamore also won the Gold Award in its size category of stores between 2,000 to 4,000 square feet.
In presenting the award, ShelfLife editor Fionnuala Carolan said: “Scally’s ticked every box for all of our judges. It has easy access, plenty of free parking and extremely friendly staff that greet customers by name when possible. Scally’s is also a one-stop shop for all food needs and has a comprehensive non-food section. Their pricing is extremely competitive, with lots of special offers readily available. Additionally, the store also has the highest standards of food hygiene throughout and they are actively involved in their local community.“
Of all the Awards presented on the night, Centra stores across the country secured seven, over three times as many as any of their competitors. The other Centra winners included:
- Scally’s Centra, Tullamore, Co. Offaly – Platinum Award Winner and Gold Award – Winner – 2,000 to 4,000 sq. ft.
- Casey’s Centra, Wellpark, Galway – Best Food to Go Department 2010
- McClafferty’s Centra Gortahork, Co. Donegal – Best C-Store Off-Licence 2010
- Scally’s Centra, Tullamore, Co. Offaly – Best Frozen Foods Department 2010
- Ryan’s Centra Raheen Limerick – Best Fresh and Chilled Department 2010
- Herlihy’s Centra, Bishopstown, Cork – Staff Bursary Award 2010