Job ref: 12806
Job Type: Finance
Contract type: Permanent
Closing Date: 27 September 2021
Internal Control Manager
Musgrave is one of the Europe’s most successful family-owned businesses with a 140-year heritage in food and brand innovation, supporting communities across the island of Ireland and Spain.
Every day we feed one in three people in Ireland through 11 market leading food and beverage brands that include SuperValu, Centra, Frank and Honest and Musgrave MarketPlace.
We support thousands of retail and foodservice family businesses who live and work in the heart of the communities they serve.
We are committed to becoming the most trusted and sustainable business in Ireland and we are making changes across the company to make sure that happens. We want to make a positive impact on the world and we will support our suppliers and customers to make a difference too.
Our people are the heart of our business. As our greatest asset, they make Musgrave a great place to work and in return we aim to be the very best place to work, grow and thrive. We have an opportunity for an Internal Control Manager to join our Finance team.
The purpose of this role is to protect company resources (cash, stock etc.) and ensure compliance with relevant external/regulatory/legal requirements by developing, implementing, and maintaining best practice financial and operating procedures and controls for the MNI business and to provide assurance to divisional and group management that key controls are in place and operating in a satisfactory manner.The main duties of this role include but are not limited to:
Process and Control (Standard Operating Procedures - SOP) Development and Compliance
- Assess business processes and identify areas for improvement to ensure risk is appropriately managed and efficiencies achieved across the division.
- Development, management and reporting of a plan for SOP development for the business (to include owned stores, cash and carry sites, warehouse, and central operations).
- Ensure all SOPs are developed, effectively implemented, and monitored through appropriate KPI’s across the business.
- Ownership for the on-going review and updating of SOPs in line with changes to business processes.
- Work with key business partners to ensure agreed procedures and changes are implemented and efficiencies delivered, including providing operational support as required to business partners to assist the implementation of agreed policies and processes
Audits and Regulatory Compliance
- Develop and implement appropriate audit processes to ensure the MNI business is fully compliant with both internal and external compliance requirements including SOPs, legal, regulatory and group policies.
- Manage the internal audit process for the MNI business for all group led internal audits. Act as the main liaison with the Group Financial Controller and the internal audit team to ensure audits are carried out efficiently with minimal issues arising. Act as the main point of contact for external auditors regarding operational procedures.
- Manage the Controls Improvement Database (audit recommendations) for the MNI business ensuring all open actions are closed out on a timely basis.
- Manage the MNI internal audit process for company owned stores and cash and carry sites to ensure all audits are carried out at the agreed frequency.
- Coordination and management of the reporting of issues arising from audits including ensuring corrective action plans developed and implemented on a timely basis.
- Communication of observations and recommendations with appropriate levels of management in a professional manner with a special emphasis on independence and confidentiality
- Drive the implementation of specific control improvements required to achieve full compliance.
- Reporting on compliance as required (weekly, periodic, quarterly).
- Ensure compliance with all procedures and policies as required by Post Office Limited.
- Work with the Company Owned Management Team and HR to help ensure store colleagues are fully trained in all areas of compliance and appropriate records maintained.
- Lead the reporting process for any control or fraud issues arising in the MNI business, including reporting to the MNI Management Team and Musgrave Group. Lead, or assist with, investigations into potential issues as required
- Other duties as identified and requested by Head of Finance on an ad-hoc basis which may include:
- Assist the Head of Finance with the effective project management of strategic or commercial projects.
- Assist the Head of Finance with the review of potential commercial or strategic opportunities
Effectively Lead the Internal Control Team
- Effectively lead the team to ensure all duties are completed in an accurate and timely manner including ensuring appropriate ways of working are in place and operating effectively and that all divisional, group and external requirements and deadlines are met.
- Ensure the team provides operational support to key business partners and the wider business as and when required.
- Develop and mentor the team appropriately to ensure they are an engaged and high-performing team.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
The successful candidates will possess the following:
- At least 3 years’ internal control/audit experience in a fast-paced business.
- Willing to adapt and take on new challenges and driven to continually improve.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Successfully able to handle multiple demands and competing priorities.
- Logical, thorough, and tenacious in approach to work with excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrates excellent leadership skills (to lead, motivate, train, and develop a team) combined with a hands-on approach.
- Positively influences at all levels and demonstrates credibility in the role.
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Package
- Qualified accountant with membership of a recognised accountancy body.
- Experience within the retail/wholesale industry.
- Demonstrable track record of driving business improvements and efficiencies with a focus on control of stock, cash etc.