Job ref: 12913
Job Type: Operations
Contract type: Permanent
Closing Date: 29 October 2021
General Manager Waterford
Musgrave is one of the Europe’s most successful family-owned businesses with a 140-year heritage in food and brand innovation, supporting communities across the island of Ireland and Spain.
Every day we feed one in three people in Ireland through 11 market leading food and beverage brands that include SuperValu, Centra, Frank and Honest and Musgrave Market Place.
We support thousands of retail and foodservice family businesses who live and work in the heart of the communities they serve.
We are committed to becoming the most trusted and sustainable business in Ireland and we are making changes across the company to make sure that happens. We want to make a positive impact on the world and we will support our suppliers and customers to make a difference too.
Our people are the heart of our business. As our greatest asset, they make Musgrave a great place to work and in return we aim to be the very best place to work, grow and thrive. We have an opportunity for a General Manager to join our Marketplace team in Waterford.
The General Manager is responsible for the overall operation of our Waterford MarketPlace Branch and region, the main duties of this role include the following but not limited to:
- Work closely with wider Regional team to develop and implement the growth and profit strategy for the MarketPlace brand across collect, delivered and the online channel for the region.
- Build strong influential relationships with foodservice and retail customers to understand and meet their needs.
- Consistently deliver excellent service to customers, focusing on maximising profitable sales to the customers and growing the customer’s loyalty to Musgrave.
- Ensure that all pricing decisions, which contribute to margin, are managed within policy and are accounted for.
- Plan, agree and achieve, branch budgetary performance targets i.e sales, margin costs and profit.
- Manage debtors within debtor policy guidelines and agreed credit terms.
- Develop and implement effective cost reduction initiatives to reduce branch operating costs to agreed minimum effective level.
- Maximise branch cash contribution through effective management of stocks, capital expenditure and debtors.
- Achieve and improve all site operational KPIs (including store costs, standards, margin, availability, stock, profit, wastage, labour, mystery shopper)
- Implement best practice divisional and branch operational procedures and ensure full compliance within the branch with divisional standards.
- Effectively use management information systems at branch level to advance accurate analysis and support sound decision making.
- Ensure the branch is fully compliant with regulatory and statutory operating controls and SOPs.
- Develop and implement effective branch business development plans in line with collect business development objectives, ensure branch performance targets are met or exceeded.
- Ensure the branch has the manpower resources and skill sets required to enable the effective operation of the business whilst maximizing cost efficiencies.
- Ensure strong operational procedures are in place to manage and measure stock management i.e. shrinkage/loss.
- Build and sustain a high performing engaged team by providing clear direction, stretch targets, regular reviews to manage all levels of performance (proactively manage under performance and recognise and encourage high performance).
- Demonstrate the Musgrave leadership skills and values holding self and others accountable for meeting and exceeding objectives.
- Maximise the potential of team members to encourage and sponsor talent to ensure succession within the branch and across the Group.
- Ensure departments are appropriately resourced to achieve maximum efficiencies and productivity in most cost effective manner.
- Ongoing training and development of all colleagues .
- Communicate clearly and positively to engage all colleagues to ensure they understand their role in delivering the brand (business/branch objectives).
- Implement key employee development plans to ensure the development of the competencies required to support and sustain business growth and to ensure succession plans are in place for key roles.
- Implement all necessary regulatory and statutory training and induction programmes.
- Achieve all HR KPIs.
- Ensure the safety, health and welfare at work of your employees.
- Manage and conduct work activities in such a way as to ensure the safety, health and welfare at work of all employees.
- Manage and conduct work activities in such a way as to prevent any improper conduct or behaviour likely to endanger employees.
- Implement the safety, health and welfare measures necessary for protection of employees.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
The successful candidates will possess the following:
- 10+ years’ experience in a senior management position including management of a senior team.
- Experience of managing a large retail/wholesale business is essential.
- Previous exposure to IR negotiations at a senior level.
- Understands and is familiar with the grocery retail and/or foodservice markets.
- A proven track record of delivering commercial results in a fast moving business environment.
- Third level qualification – business or finance.
- Full clean driving licence