SuperValu teams up with ‘Money Doctor’ John Lowe to provide Mums with easy to implement saving tips and advice
New research, conducted by SuperValu in conjunction with Eumom, has revealed that 63 per cent of expectant mums are fearful of overspending on baby items in the first year. It appears that mums-to-be have a right to be concerned; the research also found that a shocking 92 per cent of mums surveyed had overspent by up to €1,000, with 25 per cent claiming that a lack of understanding of the essential requirements had led to needless expenditure.
Other interesting findings from the research;
- 97 per cent of mums surveyed had spent up to €5,000 purchasing items for their newborn in the first year alone
- 49 per cent of expectant mums are concerned about the additional weekly cost a new baby will add to the household budget
- 76 per cent of those surveyed stated that a new baby added up to €150 to their weekly shop
- When asked about what expenses caused the greatest concern, respondents to the SuperValu Eumom survey cited that everyday essentials, such as nappies (59.6 per cent) and baby formula (31.20 per cent)
- 70 per cent had reduce their spending in other areas to be able to afford the expense of your new arrival, with 35 per cent cutting down on socialising and 27 per cent cutting down on holidays
To help savvy mums curb overspending, SuperValu has teamed up with well known ‘Money Doctor’ John Lowe, to provide helpful, easy to implement tips and saving advice.
John Lowe commented: “Parenthood is one of the most exciting and joyful experiences in life; but it’s clear, for parents today it does come at a price! However, there are simple steps that mums and dads can take to manage their finances and cut out needless expenditure. Careful planning, for example, completing a day to day household budget and keeping an eye out for baby essentials that are on special offer can help mums manage their expenditure. SuperValu has a Baby and Toddler event running over the next three weeks, with reductions on all baby essentials, taking advantage of events such as this can help mums to reduce their weekly spend”.
SuperValu is delivering real savings to mum with a bespoke in-store Baby and Toddler event, which will include three weeks of unbeatable value for money offers on all things baby from the 29th of May until the 18th of June, 2011. To find a SuperValu Baby and Toddler event happening near you visit www.SuperValu.ie
Speaking about the upcoming Baby and Toddler event, Ray Kelly, Marketing Director, SuperValu said: “We appreciate that mums are looking for real quality and real value, so our special Baby & Toddler Event has been designed to give you just that. Not only will we have special offers on our unrivalled range of baby essentials, but we will be running a series of in-store demonstrations throughout the event and have a range of experts on hand to give mum all the support and advice she needs”.
“SuperValu also has a dedicated ‘Baby Advisor’ in each of its 192 stores nationwide. These dedicated in-store experts are on hand to offer top tips on cost saving options on all the essentials parents require for their little ones”, he continued.